Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sidekick

I hate wheelchair caddies. The kind like this. They sag and wind up with the pocket going underneath the armrest. They are built "flat" with no reinforced structure. The one I tried and failed at using was similar to this one:


I am going on a road trip where I cannot reach any of the cup holders in the vehicle and if I use a conventional wheelchair cup holder I tend to snap them in doorways.   But I have to have something to hold the morning coffee on this trip.  One search on Amazon led to another and I started looking at stroller organizers - essentially bags with a little more shape that velcro onto the main handle of the stroller. 

Unfortunately, however, the velcro loops are on the sides of these organizers so without modification they would not work. 



I wanted to find something like the above product in a brick-and-mortar store so I could both see it before purchasing it and return the item easily if it would not meet my needs. So using the Target phone app I found an organizer that I thought could work, saw which nearby stores carried it, went to the store, and bought it.  Now the one I found also had the velcro on the wrong sides so my mom stitched two elastic loops on the back and it slid right on my armrest!



I did not think there was enough "shape" to the caddy to keep it from sagging and to add depth to the pockets. So I borrowed the toy ice cream container from my kids' toy ice cream set. It fit pretty well in the main pocket but my Mom came up with an even better idea - place the whole thing inside the basket that used to hang on my walker in high school. Love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment